TheJaredWilcurtTheJaredWilcurt

Main Movies Favorites Reviews Stats

St. Stephen St. Stephen

I'm not a big fan of the song, but it's definitely not bad, like 6.5/10. But the use of animation with it works really well. I feel like there's a bit too much recycling of work though. The walk cycle is so short that its constantly looping just comes across as lazy where as the obvious intent is to showcase the monotony of the journey and the bears determination. The sort of sloppiness to the style of the drawings works in it's favor but only so much. When such a central part of the animation is "walk to the right", you need to try drawing it again so that it can interrupt the repetitiveness, or just make the walk cycle much longer.

I kept wondering how you were going to end it, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't feel like the animation was too long at all or boring, which seems to what others are saying, it just let the focus go to the music and didn't try to compete too much for the attention.

The execution is flawed, but the work as a whole is decent. Work harder on the next project, no more lazy animating.

dylan responds:

This song's not necessarily my favorite of theirs either, but the tone matched up too well to pick another. That's some damn good advice for me to keep in mind next time I'm working on something in this sort of style, and I'm glad to see that you got the idea behind making it a very somber, monotonous journey.

My original intent was to have a different walk cycle at each stage of the journey, starting with the regular one and finishing with a labored limp, but time was my better; the walk cycles ended up being one of the artistic sacrifices that I needed to make in order to meet the deadline. Thanks for the awesome critique!

Zelda Uncut: Seven Years Zelda Uncut: Seven Years

green screen fail on epona during the opening credits

Dr Whooves and Assistant Dr Whooves and Assistant

THANK YOU, finally someone who gets derpy's voice the way I imagined it. The one in the actual show is just an abomination. The writing wasn't as clever as some Dr. Whooves podcast I ran across on youtube about the tardis crashing into Twi's library and scary stone pegasus weeping angels attack them when they blink (still funny though). But the character animation is still spot on, almost identical to the style of the show. The directing could be improved though, the whole thing is in one boring location cutting back and forth. Just a more interesting background would have helped a ton, . The sonic screw driver looked way too detailed compared to everything else. Think of it like how you could draw a detailed apple and it would totally look like an apple, but compared to what's in the show, apples are just a one color red shape with a brown stem poking out. They're extremely simplified. Just study the background objects like pies, bails of hay, rope, butterflies, clouds, etc. See how they're all much more simplified than the screw driver. Back to the backgrounds, you almost never see a shot in the show where the horizon is that high, and the sky is just one color. If you would add in just a simple cloud that moves slowly/subtly in the background. Maybe a bird could fly out of a tree or something (since they're in the background). Speaking of the trees, those are another thing you put too much detail on, they don't match the show. For how well you replicated the character animation background elements stand out as pretty poor in contrast.

Doc's voice is a little boomier/louder than Derps and it has a few peaks where it gets in the red, and the music at the beginning is a touch too loud. Spend some more time doing the audio mastering, making sure everything meshes well together. There's no noise or anything, the individual tracks are all fine, they just need to work better together.

Keep up pacing, it seems to drag a little. Look at the amount of zip-lines used in the actual show, the cuts back and forth feel bouncier and less dry and more in time with the music.

Anyways, those are all areas you can improve in, but it's still really good. 20 out of 5 stars

Cleansing Cleansing

If you want your game to have clear "you must do this to beat a level" objective. then don't flash CHOICE CHOICE in the first 5 seconds of the game, just to say after two screens "The choice you made doesn't let you play anymore". That's not a choice. If you give me a scary demon monster, I'm going to use it to eat villagers and sheep. That's like, the whole point of a demon wolf thing with teeth the size children.

If you simply take out the word "CHOICE" this would make the game anything above a zero. blammed for utter stupidity of developer.

Reverie Reverie

Heads up to the author, the game is unplayable on lower end machines. Game freezes up on my netbook due to to much CPU usage of the game. Consider adding in quality settings that effect things beyond the quality of vector rendering (right-click > quality >low had no effect, still froze up. If you're using any movie clips that have post rendering done to them (adjusting hue/sat/dropshadow/etc), have an option to disable them. Anything that is being blurred in real time by flash is a huge framerate killer on even decent machines, but on weak ones it makes the swf unplayable. You can still maintain the same look by prerendering it. You'd need to create a 24-bit transparent .png file of the effect, rather than having flash just generate it. then overlay the png as just a regular graphic (or movie clip) and have it's opacity animated. Would increase filesize, but decrease cpu cycles for end users. You could counter act this though by starting the game once only the elements that are required to play the first level have downloaded. By the time you get to the end of that level, the rest of the elements should be done. You could put a 1 frame of code to check at the end of that level, if the user is on dial-up they would just wait for the download to finish at the end of that level.

Also I should note the freezing up occurs on the third stage (with the door, then ledge, then huge drop) in normal view. And it especially occurs in the J view on all prior levels. So whatever you're doing in J view it's really effecting slower machines.

Slime's Cake Quest Slime's Cake Quest

Controls make it unplayable. I had to break out Xpadder and a SNES pad just to make it even partially playable, but even that didn't save it. Unplayable game.

MintPaw responds:

You're unplayable!

Accoustic Lullaby Accoustic Lullaby

well done

I've been listening through accoustic stuff on here, this is the first thing I felt like rating (0-5). the only thing wrong with it is that it should keep going for about 9 minutes before it loops. but at least it loops well.